Bergamot essential oil is more than just a sweet scent and flavor, it is a powerful health ally. Its uses range from reducing stress to soothing insect bites. Also due to its antimicrobial and antifungal properties, it can be beneficial for several skin conditions.
My personal favorite uses of Bergamot essential oil:
- Instant mood booster. Apply a drop of Bergamot oil to your palm and inhale deeply. This can be repeated throughout the day without re-application of the oil. One drop lasts all day!
- Stress reducer. I use Bergamot essential oil in bath bombs for an aromatic, stress-relieving bath. Along with coconut oil in the bath bomb, I get stress relief and moisturized skin.
- Preventing urinary tract infections. Bergamot oil mixed with lavender, salt, and distilled water and used as a genital wash can prevent the recurrence of urinary tract infections.
- Aromatherapy. Bergamot oil in a diffuser makes the entire house smell wonderful and welcoming.
- Regular tea is Earl Grey tea in an instant with the addition of Bergamot essential oil.
Those are my five favorite uses of Bergamot essential oil, but there are many more uses. Soothe insect bites, treat cold sores, and apply to feet with coconut oil for a great foot massage.
Do you have a favorite use for Bergamot oil? Share it with us!
NOTE: Bergamot essential oil is extremely photo-toxic. Do not expose skin to direct sunlight for 12 hours after application.
If using Bergamot essential oil to treat skin disorders, always spot test a small area of skin for 24 hours before applying to affected areas.
As always, use common sense and consult a physician if you are ill or have a serious skin condition.